Keeping hot water flowing through the home is an essential part of your plumbing system. A hot water heater needs to be carefully maintained so that it can efficiently heat the water in your home and distribute it to showers, dishwashers, and sinks.
Some water heaters will start to have issues and the pilot light will continue to go out if regular maintenance is not given to the water heater. One common problem is that of the pilot light going out. You may light the water heater and it stays on for a while and even heats the water. After a few minutes the pilot light might go out again:
Dirty Air Filter
In order to have hot water, you will have to continue to light the water heater. There is usually a common problem that is easy to fix to get your water heater working properly again. This includes cleaning the air filter and flame arrestor. As the air filter becomes clogged, it does not allow oxygen to reach the flame and the fire will go out. Luckily there is an easy way to clean this air filter.
How to Clean the Air Filter
1. Turn off the gas to the water heater and let it cool down. This will help prevent any injuries.
2. Remove the air screen that is located at the bottom of the water heater and insert a toilet brush or other long and coarse brush. Begin to wipe the dirt and dust by using an in and out motion. Use a vacuum to remove the dust and debris from the brush and keep repeating the motion until no dust comes out.
3. Use a log vacuum attachment to get inside the water heater at the base and vacuum up any remaining dust and debris.
4. Remove the burner and the pilot light assembly unit so that you can also clean the top of the air filter. Again use a brush and a vacuum to remove dirt and debris.
5. Replace the burner and the pilot assembly and replace the air screen. You can now try to light the pilot light. It should now light and stay lit as enough oxygen is reaching the flame.
This is an easy and safe way to get your water heater working properly again. If this does not fix the problem, you may need the help of a professional plumber. To learn more, contact a company like http://www.rakeman.com/ with any questions or concerns you might have.Share